The Violence Project
How to stop a mass shooting epidemic
By Jillian Peterson & James Densley
An examination of mass shootings in America and an urgent call to action to stop these tragedies using first-person accounts from perpetrators, survivors, and families.
- CNN (2018) – The usual approach to school security isn’t working
- CNN (2017) – How social media sends extremism into overdrive
- The Conversation (2021) – Knoxville school shooting serves as a stark reminder of the familiar – but preventable – threat.
- The Conversation (2020) – U.S. gun violence: Too many people have died in 2020 – and COVID played a larger part than you think
- The Conversation (2019) – University of North Carolina at Charlotte shooting had these things in common with other campus shootings.
- The Conversation (2019) – School shooters usually show these signs of distress long before they open fire
- The Conversation (2019) – Colorado shooting eerily recalls Columbine massacre
- The Conversation (2019) – How Columbine became a blueprint for school shooters
- Education Week (2019) – What school shooters have in common
- Los Angeles Times (2021) – Why mass shootings stopped in 2020 and are now roaring back
- Los Angeles Times (2021) – The rise in school shooting threats is alarming, and a cry for help
- Los Angeles Times (2019) – Why do people attack places of worship?
- Los Angeles Times (2019) – There is no single profile of a mass shooter. Our data show there are five types
- Los Angeles Times (2019) – We analyzed 53 years of mass shooting data. Attacks aren’t just increasing, they’re getting deadlier
- Los Angeles Times (2019) – We have studied every mass shooting since 1966. Here’s what we’ve learned about the shooters
- Minnesota Association of School Administrators (2019) – School Shootings: What Administrators Need to Know
- MinnPost (2020) – Break the cycle: Five changes in Minnesota policing that can be enacted right now
- MinnPost (2018) – Police crisis intervention training: We need a new paradigm, not a new building
- Pioneer Press (2020) – If they want to improve police in Minnesota, legislators need to know this
- Pioneer Press (2016) – For police training, do the research to figure out what works
- Star Tribune (2019) – Terrorism is a performance. Stop watching
- Star Tribune (2018) – Preventing mass school shootings? Here’s a key first step
- Star Tribune (2021) – The mass shootings are back, as is the question: Why?
- Star Tribune (2017) – Why the trend of posting gruesome acts online?
- Star Tribune (2015) – Mental illness and violence: Not so easy to connect the dots
- Star Tribune (2016) – Untangling the roots of school violence
- Star Tribune (2017) – Verdict in police shooting of Philando Castile: The fear defense should have us all afraid
- Sun Sentinel (2021) – One Second from Columbine at Lehigh Acres
- The Tennessean (2021) – Students, teachers must feel safe to report school shooting threats
- USA Today (2019) – We can do more to prevent workplace shootings like Aurora, Illinois
- Washington Post (2021) – School shootings are increasing – and changing. Easily accessible guns are to blame